I’m sure you all have been there. You’re working, or just hanging out and all of a sudden for some reason that you can’t even describe, a song just sticks in your mind. It doesn’t even have to be a song you’ve heard recently, or in the past 15 years. Mentirosa is that song for me. Why? I have no idea. Here’s what I remember.
I went to Tower Records with my dad and all of a sudden saw two albums with singles that were on the radio. One was Mellow Man Ace’s album, which featured Mentirosa. The second was by this guy named Louie Louie, who had a single Sittin’ In The Lap Of Luxury. I’d love for the story to end with me looking at both albums and putting them down and walking out of Tower Records. But I think I got dad to buy Louie Louie, which was a terrible album.
So why is Mentirosa in my head today? Who knows? Maybe someone lied to me. But I doubt it. I think it’s just one of those things that you can’t explain, but if I don’t make this the Friday Throwback, it might never leave my head.
Check this out baby.
– I really had no idea that Mellow Man Ace not only still recorded, but was also in Cypress Hill before they came out with an album.
– “He told me you was drinkin’, and wasted my dinero.”
– The problem with this song is the idea that he thinks his girl is a liar and a straight skeezer, but then still thinks of her as the possible woman for him. At what point are you looking for someone else? Oh at the end of the song.
– Let’s be serious here about something though. The reason this song caught on had more to do with sampling Santana than anything else.
– “Today you tell me something, y manana otra cosa.” Greatest line of all time.
Now, that song is out of my head.