I’m going to piggyback on Money Mike’s post about the trailer to Notorious, the movie about Biggie Smalls. I’m not convinced that it’s going to be good, but thankfully, good actors like Angela Bassett and Derek Luke are involved. I’m also quite worried about how the movie will handle the situation with Tupac.
My introduction to The Notorious B.I.G. was through his song Juicy. I don’t remember hearing him on the remix to Mary J. Blige’s Real Love out here on the West Coast. There was a certain familiarity to the song because of the Juicy Fruit sample, as if the song had been on the radio forever when I had only heard it for the first time. And everyone loves a rags to riches story, and Biggie told that story so well with witty, yet very real lines. I also loved how he littered his rhymes in this song with pop culture references (Robin Leach?) without sounding corny.
– It was all a dream …
– Big’s look worked for him. Had he been this good lookin’ dude with all the floss, you wouldn’t have had to listen to him.
– I love the back and forth between showing him at the pool living the life, and then flashing to the jails.
– Please dismiss the text in the right corner that says, “Sisqo Unleashes Hip Hop’s Sexiest Videos”. It was a long time ago y’all.
– “Super Nintendo/Sega Genesis, when I was dead broke, man I couldn’t picture this.” I wonder what Big would have to say about PS3s, Wiis, and XBox 360s.
– That is really Biggie’s mom in the video too.
– And if you don’t know, now you know.